What role are you in now?
I work for ExxonMobil, as the New Opportunity Manager for the Europe Caspian Region (Exploration)
What are the highlights of your current role?
• Evaluation of the petroleum geology of a broad region
• Integration of technical and commercial during opportunity evaluation & pursuit
• Broad interaction with governments and industry
What did you do when you first graduated?
I completed a Ph.D at Edinburgh University before joining the oil industry.
How has your career progressed through to your current role?
• At ExxonMobil since 1994
• Early career as geoscientist working on UK/ Norway North Sea
• 2 year strategic planning role (Europe / Caspian/ Russia)
• Management positions for 4 years in Houston and 2 in Dubai working Middle East, prior to returning in 2013 to current role in UK
What advice would you give to others hoping to gain experience in your industry?
• Taking the opportunity for assignments abroad- provided significant opportunity to broaden experience & network
We interviewed Jonathan in late summer 2015, as part of the “Class of 1990 – Where are they now?” Project