Open Days and Enquiries
The department welcomes visits from prospective applicants on University Open Days, when we are open from from 10am to 4pm. The upcoming dates for Open Days, and further information about planning your day and what to expect can be found on the University website. The 2020 Open Days will be on Wednesday 1st and Thursday 2nd July, and Friday 18th September.
Attending an Open Day gives you a chance to tour the department, talk to current students, lecturers and tutors, and attend lectures and demonstrations illustrating aspects of our undergraduate course and the research which unpins it. Visitors are encouraged to take part in subject-based visits in the morning, and college visits from lunchtime.
Open days are free, and there is no need to book. If you’d like to read the University’s 2020 Undergraduate Prospectus in advance, it’s now available online here.
Timetable for Typical Open Day
- 10:00-11:00 Introduction to Earth Sciences – Find out more about Earth Sciences, how the course is taught at Oxford, and what our graduates move on to.
- 11:00-11:30 Taster Lecture
- 11:30-12:00 Taster Lecture
How do you make a planet? How do you predict a volcanic eruption? How has the climate changed over time? What’s at the bottom of the Ocean? Come along to this taster lecture in Earth Sciences to find out more!
- 10:00-12:00 Displays, Demos and Tours: Observation, analysis, measurement, deduction: just some of the aptitudes needed to make a great Earth Scientist. Visit our stands and tour the department to see if you have what it takes!
- 14:30-15:30 Introduction to Earth Sciences (Repeated from 10am) – Find out more about Earth Sciences, how the course is taught at Oxford, and what our graduates move on to.
- 14:30-16:00 Displays, Demos and Tours: Observation, analysis, measurement, deduction: just some of the aptitudes needed to make a great Earth Scientist. Visit our stands and tour the department to see if you have what it takes!
Prospective graduate students are also welcome on these days, though we can’t guarantee access to specific supervisors. We advise you email ahead if there’s someone specific you’d like to talk to.
Events in other departments around the University, and activities in Colleges, may require booking. The University provides further information online.
If, after reading these pages, and the undergraduate prospectus, you have any further questions about applying to study Earth Sciences, you can get in touch with our Academic Office:
Telephone: +44 (0)1865 272040
Mail: Department of Earth Sciences, South Parks Road, Oxford , OX1 3AN