Open Days and Enquiries
The department welcomes visits from prospective applicants on University Open Days, when we are open from from 10am to 4pm. The upcoming dates for Open Days, and further information about planning your day and what to expect can be found on the University website. Dates for 2019 are Wednesday 3rd July, Thursday 4th July, and Friday 20th September.
Attending an Open Day gives you a chance to tour the department, talk to current students, lecturers and tutors, and attend lectures and demonstrations illustrating aspects of our undergraduate course and the research which unpins it. Visitors are encouraged to take part in subject-based visits in the morning, and college visits from lunchtime.
Open days are free, and there is no need to book.
Timetable for July Open Days
- 10:00-11:00 Introduction to Earth Sciences – Find out more about Earth Sciences, how the course is taught at Oxford, and what our graduates move on to.
11:00-11:30 The Fly in the Ointment: St Hugh’s Tutorial Fellow Erin Saupe talks about finding fossils in amber: what we find, how we study them, and what they tell us about the past.
- 11:30-12:00 Shaking Things Up: The Science of Earthquakes; St. Edmund Hall Tutorial Fellow Richard Walker explains how geoscientists study earthquakes: their cause, effect and possible prediction
- 10:00-12:00 Displays, Demos and Tours: Observation, analysis, measurement, deduction: just some of the aptitudes needed to make a great Earth Scientist. Visit our stands and tour the department to see if you have what it takes!
- 14:30-15:30 Introduction to Earth Sciences (Repeated from 10am) – Find out more about Earth Sciences, how the course is taught at Oxford, and what our graduates move on to.
- 14:30-16:00 Displays, Demos and Tours: Observation, analysis, measurement, deduction: just some of the aptitudes needed to make a great Earth Scientist. Visit our stands and tour the department to see if you have what it takes!
Prospective graduate students are also welcome on these days, though we can’t guarantee access to specific supervisors. We advise you email ahead if there’s someone specific you’d like to talk to.
Events in other departments around the University, and activities in Colleges, may require booking. The University provides further information online.
If, after reading these pages, and the undergraduate prospectus, you have any further questions about applying to study Earth Sciences, you can get in touch with our Academic Office:
Telephone: +44 (0)1865 272040
Mail: Department of Earth Sciences, South Parks Road, Oxford , OX1 3AN