My primary role is the management of the Trace Element Research Facility. This facility consists of two highly sensitive and versatile ICP-MS instruments which offer powerful analytical capabilities for the measurement of a substantial number of chemical elements at trace concentrations in many sample types, including those with complex matrices (see the ICP-MS Trace Element Small Research Facility webpage for more details). The facility supports analytical research for many research groups within the Earth Sciences Department, including those within the research themes of Oceanography, Climate, Palaeoenvironment, Planetary Evolution and Materials, and Earth Resources. Additionally, the facility also provides as a trace element analytical service for other departments at Oxford and beyond for commercial applications.
In addition to my management responsibilities, I research into new analytical methodologies for trace element analysis. This principally incorporates the use of ICP-MS, where I am particularly interested in the adaptation and subsequent hyphenation of flow injection and ion exchange systems with this type of mass spectrometry, especially to widen the capability of trace element measurements in complex matrices.
View Selected Publications
- Snow J.T., Holdship P. and Rickaby R.E.M. (2019) Antagonistic co-limitation through ion promiscuity – On the metal sensitivity of Thalassiosira oceanica under phosphorus stress. Science of The Total Environment (in press). doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2019.134080
- Whitehead P.G., Bussi G., Peters R., Hossain M.A., Softley L., Shawal S., Jin L., Rampley C.P.N., Holdship P., Hope R. and Alabaster G. (2019) Modelling heavy metals in the Buriganga River System, Dhaka, Bangladesh: Impacts of tannery pollution control. Science of The Total Environment (in press). doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2019.134090
- Kersemans V., Wallington S., Allen P., Gilchrist S., Kinchesh P., Browning R., Vallis K.A., Schilling K., Holdship P., Stork L-A. and Smart S. (2019) Manganese-free chow, a refined non-invasive solution to reduce gastrointestinal signal for T1-weighted MRI of the mouse abdomen. Lab. Anim. (in press)
- Holdship P., Bonnand P., Price D. and Watson P. (2018) Micro flow injection ICP-MS analysis of high matrix samples: an investigation of its capability to measure trace elements in iron meteorites. J. Anal. At. Spectrom. 33. 1941-1953. doi.org/10.1039/C8JA00162F
- Zhang Q., Snow J., Holdship P., Price D., Watson P. and Rickaby R.E.M. (2018) Direct measurement of multi-elements in high matrix samples with a flow injection ICP-MS: application to the extended Emiliania huxleyi Redfield ratio. J. Anal. At. Spectrom. 33. 1196-1208. doi.org/10.1039/C8JA00031J
- Lakhal-Littleton S., Wolna M., Carr C.A., Miller J.J., Christian H.C., Ball V., Santos A., Diaz R., Biggs D., Stillion R., Holdship P., Larner F., Tyler D.J., Clarke K., Davies B and Robbins P.A. (2015) Cardiac Ferroportin Regulates Cellular Iron Homeostasis and is Important for Cardiac Function. P. Natl. Acad. Sci.USA. 112. 3164-3169. doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1422373112
- Abouchami W., Galer S.J.G., Horner T.J., Rehkämper M., Wombacher F., Xue Z., Lambelet M., Gault-Ringold M., Stirling C.H., Schönbachler M., Alyssa E.S., Weiss D and Holdship P.F. (2012) A Common Reference Material for Cadmium Isotope Studies – NIST SRM 3108. Geostand. Geoanal. Res. 37. 5-17. doi.org/10.1111/j.1751-908X.2012.00175.x