International Day of Women and Girls in Science 2022

February 11th is International Day of Women and Girls in Science, a day to celebrate the achievements of women in STEM subjects and also to champion for full and equal access and participation for women and girls in science. In recognition of today, some of our female scientists have discussed the amazing work they are involved in and what has inspired them in their careers.

Tamsin Mather is a Professor of Earth Sciences, her main research interests centre on the science behind volcanoes and volcanic behaviour.

Why did you choose Earth Sciences and your area of research?

It was a way to combine my love of science with a passion to understand the world around me and a love to being outdoors. My PhD topic on the atmospheric chemistry of volcanic plumes was an opportunity to apply specialist knowledge from my undergraduate degree to these fundamental planetary-scale processes.

What has been the highlight of your career so far?

Visiting volcanoes around the world has been a huge highlight. Giving a prize lecture at the Royal Society was very memorable. I was massively nervous but lots of family, friends and colleagues from all stages of my life and career turned up to watch, and it was a wonderful opportunity to say thank you. I also will not forget my then 8-year-old son making the ‘loser’ sign in the front row as the rest of the audience applauded – still makes me laugh picturing the scene now!

Who or what has inspired you in your career?

The stories of many scientists both present-day and in history have inspired me at different times during my career but I also take a lot of inspiration from the early career scientists that I work with. Sharing in a student’s excitement when they come up with a new idea or interpretation, overcome a challenge or get their first paper published is a big motivation for me.

Alice Paine is a DPhil Student studying explosive volcanism and climate change during the Quaternary.

I’ve always been captivated by natural hazards and the processes which drive them. I took GCSE and A-Level Geography at school, which led to a BSc (Hons) Geography degree at the University of Leeds. During my time at Leeds, taking modules such as Climate Systems, Timescales of Global Change, the Cryosphere and Earth Surface Processes, and undertaking my dissertation research, really opened my eyes to how much I enjoyed the research process. I was particularly intrigued by how we can use geological and sedimentary records to reconstruct the impacts of past eruptions on the Earth’s climate and environment, and this curiosity underpins the research I do now. I genuinely feel like I’ve found my dream job – being able to spend my days studying a topic I love feels almost too good to be true! (5/12)

I feel very lucky that I can say that there are so many highlights, it’s hard to choose one! But I would have to say publishing my article “Supereruption doublet at a climate transition” in October 2021. The Toba eruption was the event that sparked my early interest in volcanology, so to publish an article on this topic was a really special moment. Being offered my PhD position at Oxford was also a moment, and achievement, I will cherish forever.

Who or what has inspired you in your career/studies?

I am hugely inspired by the people in both my professional and personal life. To give mention to specific individuals: my PhD supervisor Tamsin Mather has been a role model of mine for many years now, so getting the opportunity to work with and learn from her (alongside my other two supervisors David and Stuart) is a huge privilege. I also owe a lot to my colleague Fabian Wadsworth, who inspires me to never stop aiming to improve, learn, and progress in my scientific practice. In fact, all of my collaborators in past and present projects all inspire me in some way, shape, or form – and for that I am incredibly grateful. Last but not least, my Mum. In my eyes she embodies what it means to be strong, resilient, and kind, and she always goes above and beyond to support me in everything I do.

Ally Morton-Hayward is also a NERC DPhil Student who celebrated International Day of Women and Girls in Science in a very special way in 2020.

I study molecular taphonomy – the decay of biomolecules post mortem – and came to the Earth Sciences by accident. I worked for many years in the funerary profession, then as a bioarcheologist – and I’ve been working my way further and further back in time since! I’ve been fascinated to discover that, however far back in the fossil record and wherever on the globe we look, we find the brain preserved where other organs have perished. How does this notoriously decay-prone tissue survive in such diverse environments, and such unappreciated numbers through the millenia? At Oxford, I’m investigating this curious phenomenon through the molecular mechanisms (especially the interactions between proteins and lipids) underpinning fossilization of the central nervous system.

Finding a home in Earth Sciences has been a revelation: it’s a spectacular field of study that encourages me to explore the application and impact of my research not only in the present (informing disciplines as diverse as forensic science and clinical medicine), but also in the mists of deep time (shedding light on preservational pathways of the earliest evidence of pre-Cambrian biota) – and even in our exploration of far-off worlds (deciphering biomakers of life unlike anything imagined on our own planet). But undoubtedly, the best part has been the opportunity to work with some extraordinary women in STEM. From #GirlsWhoCode to #FemalesinMassSpec, being welcomed into this supportive, collaborative and inspiring community has been a privilege; and I owe a huge debt to the women in science who have taught me a great deal not just about our field, but also about our role in shaping it through our work, our presence and our values.

Prior to my first first-author publication, I changed my last name. It was International Women in Science Day 2020, and I took ‘Morton’ and ‘Hayward’, my grandmothers’ maiden names, to honor the fierce, feisty, and smart women who raised me.

Hannah Sanderson is the postgraduate EEDI rep and helps lead the LGBTQ+ affinity group in the department

Whilst at school, I did a summer research placement on Jupiter’s magnetic field, which sparked an interest in planetary magnetic fields. After an undergraduate degree in Astrophysics, I wanted to focus on planetary science and moved to Earth Sciences for my PhD, so I could combine the knowledge of the two disciplines to understand why Earth has a magnetic field when the other rocky planets in the Solar System don’t (or don’t anymore).

The highlight of my studies so far has been my master’s project with Amy Bonsor on white dwarf planetary systems. White dwarfs can tell us so much about the interiors of planets and the fate of planetary systems that it was fascinating to work on them (particularly with such a lovely research group). I’m currently preparing the project for publication and it will hopefully be my first paper, which is very exciting.

I’ve been particularly inspired by my previous supervisors. As well as my master’s supervisor, I worked with Moira Jardine on M dwarf magnetic fields for a summer research project. She was very encouraging and had a lot of time for all my questions. Both her and Amy have given me something to aspire to later in my career. I have also been inspired a lot by all the amazing PhD students I have met over the years, who have supported me in my work and shared theirs with me.

Julie Cosmidis is Associate Professor of Geobiology

It may sound a bit paradoxical, but I came to Earth Sciences because I was very curious about the living world, and I wanted to learn about how it had evolved through time. My first ambition was to become a paleontologist! During my studies I learned more about microbes, which have been the main form of life through most of Earth’s history, and was fascinated to learn about the thousands of ways they interact with the non-living environment, and how they have shaped the surface of our planet. But what really got me hooked is the high level of patience and precision it takes to culture microbes and study the microbe-mineral interface at very small scales. I really love this technical aspect of the research.

What has been the highlight of your career/studies so far?

The most satisfying part of my career so far has been to build productive collaborations with people I have deep admiration for. Working with people who are cleverer than myself (including students!), and learning from them along the process, is extremely gratifying.

Both my PhD and Postdoc advisers have been huge sources of inspiration for me. An important thing they taught me is to focus on the quality of the science rather than quantity, and that it’s actually what makes the job fun. They also have been great role models for how to balance career and life.