Student awarded LPI Career Development Award

Congratulations to Carys Bill who has received a 2023 Lunar Planetary Institute Career Development Award. The award is for graduate students who have submitted a first-author abstract for presentation in-person or virtually at the 54th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference (LPSC). The awards are based on a review of the application materials by a panel of planetary scientists, and recipients will receive funds to help cover their expenses for attending the hybrid conference.

Carys will present a poster on her fourth-year masters project, “Impact-generated seismic waves – did the T.Rex quake in fear?” modelling impact-generated seismic waves, focussing on the 66Ma Chicxulub impact event and the role seismic waves might have played within its catastrophic implications. She will also present on a project with the NASA Mars InSight Mission where she is aiming to quantify the mission’s environmental footprint – work which will hopefully help us ensure the sustainability of future planetary exploration missions.

Carys said ‘I’m really pleased to have received the award which will enable me to travel to Houston to attend LPSC this year and gain my first experience of an international conference, where I will get to learn lots about all the amazing research going on in the Lunar and Planetary science right now, present some of my own work and hopefully meet lots of cool people too!’