I am a volcanologist, with broad interests in understanding how volcanoes work, and in the causes and consequences of volcanic activity. Active research topics include: using historical sources to extend our knowledge of past eruptions and their societal impacts; understanding the response of volcanoes in once-glaciated regions to the end of the last glaciation; and piecing together records of past volcanism, and understanding contemporary volcanic risk, in the Ethiopian Rift Valley. Take a look at my recent publications and current projects (listed below) for some more examples.
- Amber Madden-Nadeau and I recently curated a Google Arts and Culture exhibit on the 1883 eruption of Krakatoa, based on materials in the archives of the Royal Society.
- I curated a public exhibition on Volcanoes in Oxford from Feb 10 – May 21, 2017, and wrote a book to accompany it: ‘Volcanoes: encounters through the ages’.
- Strengthening Resilience in Volcanic Areas (STREVA)
- Rift Volcanism: Past, Present, Future (RiftVolc)
- Risks, Hazards, Disasters and Cultures: Exploring an Integrated Humanities, Natural Sciences, and Disaster Studies Approach. AHRC Network.
- Mantle Volatiles Consortium
- Tempo of Volcanism in Southern Chile
- Divisional Academic Champion for Public Engagement with Research
- Academic Director, Oxford’s Doctoral Training Partnership in Environmental Research
- Academic Lead, Oxford Sparks
About me: Academic profiles, and cv:
- Academic CV
- Publications on Research Gate, Google Scholar, ORCID, ResearcherID, Scopus, Loop
- Other media: YouTube, EGU Blog, London Volcano
- (2017) Reviews of ‘Volcanoes: an exhibition’ and ‘Volcanoes: Encounters’ – New York Review of Books, Nature, Nature Geoscience, Geoscientist, BBC (Culture), New Scientist, The Guardian, The Times Literary Supplement, Artsy, The Spectator, USA Today, Minerva Magazine, Oxford Mail.
- (2016) Previews of the ‘Volcano’ exhibition from the Guardian and the Mail Online.
- (2016) Post-eruptive flooding of the Santorini Caldera
- (2016) Did volcanic activity play a role in early human evolution and migration?
- (2016) New ‘early warning’ sign for volcanic eruptions
- (2016) Late stage bubble formation and explosive volcanic eruptions
- (2016) Why can’t we predict when a volcano will erupt?
- (2016) Hallimond Lecturer
- (2015) London Volcano on Tour
- Hawaii – 2018 eruption images explained (BBC Online, May 2018)
- Five Books on Volcanoes (March 2018)
- Oxford Sparks podcast: Predicting Volcanic Eruptions (October 2015)
- Volcano Top Trumps – play online, buy the cards or find out more! (Launched December 2013)
- Volcanoes: we still can’t predict eruptions Newton Channel video (November 2013)
- Oxford Sparks short animation of what happens to a water molecule in a subduction zone (December 2012)
- Wikimedia Commons, gallery of volcano images
View Selected Publications
David Pyle, Volcanoes, Oceana Books, 128 pp., 1998. [Eagle books, 2003, paperback edition].
DM Pyle, TA Mather, J Biggs (Eds, 2013), Remote-sensing of Volcanoes and Volcanic processes: Integrating observation and modelling, Geological Society Special Publication, 380, 362 pp.
C Oppenheimer, DM Pyle and J Barclay (Eds, 2003), Volcanic Degassing, Geological Society of London Special Publication 213, 420 pp.
TH Druitt, et al. (1999), Santorini Volcano, Geological Society of London Memoir 19, 178pp.
198. AA Iveson, MCS Humphreys, IP Savov, JCM de Hoog, SJ. Turner, TG Churikova, CG Macpherson, TA Mather, BN Gordeychik, L Tomanikova, S Agostini, K Hammond, DM Pyle and GF Cooper, Deciphering variable mantle sources and hydrous inputs to arc magmas in Kamchatka, Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 562, 116848.
197. A Madden-Nadeau et al., The magmatic and eruptive evolution of the 1883 caldera-forming eruption of Krakatau: integrating field- to crystal-scale observations, Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research 411, 107176, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvolgeores.2021.107176)
196. GF Manley et al., Understanding the timing of eruption end using a machine learning approach to classification of seismic time series, Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research 406, art no 106917.
195. DM Pyle & J Barclay, Historical records of volcanic eruptions deserve more attention. Nature Reviews Earth & Environment. (2020) https://doi.org/10.1038/s43017-020-0044-z
194. A Novellino et al., Mapping recent shoreline changes spanning the lateral collapse of Anak Krakatau volcano, Indonesia, Applied Sciences, 10, 536 doi: 10.3390/app10020536
193. GE Shackelford et al., Accumulating evidence using crowdsourcing and machine learning: a living bibliography about existential risk and global catastrophic risk, Futures 116, art 102508, doi: 10.1016/j.futures.2019.102508
192. JA Hunt, TA Mather and DM Pyle, Morphological comparison of distributed volcanic fields in the Main Ethiopian Rift using high-resolution digital elevation models, Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, 393, 106732.
191. PE Wieser, SJ Turner, TA Mather, DM Pyle, IP Savov, G Orozco, New constraints from Central Chile on the origins of enriched continental compositions in thick-crusted arc magmas, Geochimica at Cosmochimica Acta 267, 51-74, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gca.2019.09.008
190. J Barclay, R Few, MT Armijos, JC Phillips, DM Pyle, AJ Hicks, SK Brown, RE Robertson, Livelihoods, wellbeing and the risk to life during volcanic eruptions, Frontiers in Earth Science, 7: 205, doi: 10.3389/feart.2019.00205
189. TH Druitt, DM Pyle, TA Mather, Santorini Volcano and its Plumbing System, Elements 15, 177-184, doi: 10.2138/gselements.15.3.177
188. JC Phillips, J Barclay, DM Pyle, MT Armijos, R Few, A Hicks, Dynamic and extensive risk arising from volcanic ash impacts on agriculture, Contributing Paper to GAR 2019 (Global Assessment Report on Disaster Risk Reduction), 30 pp.
187. JJ Ratner et al., Crowd-sourcing structure-from- motion data for terrain modelling in a real-world disaster scenario: A proof of concept, Progress in Physical Geography 43, 236-259
186. JA Hunt, DM Pyle, TA Mather, The geomorphology, structure, and lava flow dynamics of peralkaline rift volcanoes from high‐resolution digital elevation models, Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems 20, 1508-1538, doi: 10.1029/2018GC008085 .
185. GS Prata, LJ Ventress, E Carboni, TA Mather, RG Grainger, DM Pyle, A new parameterization of volcanic ash complex refractive index based on NBO/T and SiO2 content, Journal of Geophysical Research Atmospheres, 124, 1779-1797.
184. F Iddon, C Jackson, W Hutchison, K Fontijn, DM Pyle, TA Mather, G Yirgu, M Edmonds, Mixing and crystal scavenging in the Main Ethiopian Rift revealed by trace element systematics in feldspars and glasses, Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems 20, 230-259.
183. A Cadoux, G Iacono-Marziano, B Scaillet, A Aiuppa, TA Mather, DM Pyle, E Deloule, E Gennaro, A Paonita, The role of melt composition on aqueous fluid vs. silicate melt partitioning of bromine in magmas, Earth and Planetary Science Letters 498, 450-463.
182. AP Poulidis, JC Phillips, IA Renfrew, J Barclay, A Hogg, SF Jenkins, R Robertson, DM Pyle, Meteorological Controls on Local and Regional Volcanic Ash Dispersal, Scientific Reports 8, 6873.
181. MJ Stock, MCS Humphreys, VC Smith, R Isaia, RA Brooker, DM Pyle, Tracking volatile behaviour in sub-volcanic plumbing systems using apatite and glass: Insights into pre-eruptive processes at Campi Flegrei, Italy. Journal of Petrology 2463-2492.
179. DM Pyle, J Barclay, MT Armijos, The 1902-3 eruptions of the Soufriere, St Vincent: impacts, relief and response, Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research 356, 183-199.
178. K Fontijn et al., Contrasting styles of post-caldera volcanism along the Main Ethiopian Rift: Implications for contemporary volcanic hazards, Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research 356, 90-113.
177. D Wacey, N Noffke, M Saunders, P Guagliardo, DM Pyle, Volcanogenic pseudo-fossils from the~ 3.48 Ga Dresser Formation, Pilbara, Western Australia, Astrobiology 18 (5), 539-555.
176. W Hutchison et al., The evolution of magma during continental rifting: new constraints from the isotopic and trace element signatures of silicic magmas from Ethiopian volcanoes, Earth and Planetary Science Letters 489, 203-218.
175. DM Pyle, Visions of Volcanoes. 19: Interdisciplinary Studies in the Long Ninteenth Century 25, http://doi.org/10.16995/ntn.790 [Open Access]
174. JA Hunt, A Zafu, TA Mather, DM Pyle, PH Barry, Spatially Variable CO2 Degassing in The Main Ethiopian Rift: Implications For Magma Storage, Volatile Transport And Rift-Related Emissions, G-cubed 18, 3714-3737, doi: 10.1002/2017GC006975
173. MW Airey, TA Mather, DM Pyle, RC Ghail, The distribution of volcanism in the Beta-Atla-Themis region of Venus: its relationship to rifting and implications for global tectonic regimes, Journal of Geophysical Research (Planets), 122, 1626–1649.
172. M Braddock, J Biggs, IM Watson, W Hutchison, DM Pyle, TA Mather, Satellite observations of fumarole activity at Aluto volcano, Ethiopia: Implications for geothermal monitoring and volcanic hazard, Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research 341, 70-83.
171. MLM Gleeson, MJ Stock, DM Pyle, TA Mather, W Hutchison, G Yirgu, J Wade, Constraining magma storage conditions using phase equilibria models at a restless volcano in the Main Ethiopian Rift, Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research 337, 44-61.
170. A Cadoux, G Iacono-Marziano, A Paonita, E Deloule, A Aiuppa, GN Eby, M Costa, L Brusca, K Berlo, K Geraki, TA Mather, DM Pyle, I Di Carlo, A new set of standards for in-situ measurement of bromine abundances in natural silicate glasses: application to SR-XRF, LA-ICP-MS and SIMS techniques. Chemical Geology 452, 60-70, doi: 10.1016/j.chemgeo.2017.01.012
169. M Rodgers, P Smith, TA Mather, DM Pyle, Quiescent-explosive transitions during dome-forming volcanic eruptions: using seismicity to probe the volcanic processes leading to the 29 July 2008 Vulcanian explosion of Soufriere Hills Volcano, Journal of Geophysical Research 121, 10.1002/2016JB013180
168. H Rawson, T Keller, K Fontijn, DM Pyle, TA Mather, VC Smith, JA Naranjo, Compositional variability in mafic arc magmas over short spatial and temporal scales: evidence for the signature of mantle reactive melt channels. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 456, 66-77.
167. P Nomikou et al., Post-eruptive flooding of Santorini caldera and implications for tsunami generation, Nature Communications 7, 13332.
166. W Hutchison, R Fusillo, DM Pyle, TA Mather, JD Blundy, J Biggs, G Yirgu, BE Cohen, RA Brooker, DN Barfod, AT Calvert, A pulse of mid-Pleistocene rift volcanism in Ethiopia at the dawn of modern humans, Nature Communications 7: 13192.
165. W Hutchison, DM Pyle, TA Mather, G Yirgu, J Biggs, BE Cohen, DN Barfod, E Lewi, The eruptive history and magmatic evolution of Aluto volcano: new insights into silicic peralkaline volcanism in the Ethiopian rift, Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research 328, 9-33.
164. W Hutchison, J Biggs, TA Mather, DM Pyle, E Lewi, G Yirgu, S Caliro, G Chiodini, LE Clor, TP Fischer, Causes of unrest at silicic calderas in the East African Rift: New constraints from InSAR and soil-gas chemistry at Aluto volcano, Ethiopia, Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems 17, 3008-3030.
163. F Alfano, C Bonadonna, S Watt, C Connor, A Volentik, DM Pyle, Reconstruction of total grain size distribution of the climactic phase of a long-lasting eruption: the example of the 2008-2013 Chaitén eruption, Bulletin of Volcanology 78:46
162. DM Pyle, Field observations of tephra fallout, Chapter 1 in Volcanic Ash, eds. S Mackie, K Cashman, H Ricketts, A Rust, M Watson, pp 25-38. ISBN 9780081004050
161. E Carboni, RG Grainger, TA Mather, DM Pyle, G Thomas, R Siddans, A Smith, A Dudhia, M Koukouli, D Balis, The vertical distribution of volcanic SO2 plumes measured by IASI, Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 16, 4343-4367.
160. K Fontijn, H Rawson, M van Daele, J Moernaut, AM Abarzua, K Heirman, S Bertrand, DM Pyle, TA Mather, M De Batist, JA Naranjo, H Moreno, Synchronisation of sedimentary records using tephra: a post-glacial tephrochronological model for the Chilean Lake District. Quaternary Science Reviews 137, 234-254 doi:10.1016/j.quascirev.2016.02.015. [Open Access]
159. H Rawson, DM Pyle, TA Mather, VC Smith, K Fontijn, S Lachowyz, JA Naranjo, The magmatic and eruptive response of arc volcanoes to deglaciation: insights from southern Chile. Geology 44, 251-254, doi:10.1130/G37504.1 [Open Access]
158. MJ Stock, MCS Humphreys, VC Smith, R Isaia, DM Pyle, Late-stage volatile saturation as a potential trigger for explosive volcanic eruptions, Nature Geoscience 9, 249–254 doi:10.1038/ngeo2639
157. JGC Ball, BE Reed, RG Grainger, DM Peters, TA Mather, DM Pyle, Measurements of the complex refractive index of volcanic ash at 450, 546.7 and 650 nm, Journal of Geophysical Research – Atmospheres 120, 7747-7757. doi: 10.1002/2015JD023521 [Open Access]
156. JAJ Scott, MCS Humphreys, TA Mather, DM Pyle, MJ Stock, Insights into the behaviour of S, F and Cl and Santiaguito volcano, Guatemala, from apatite and glass, Lithos 232, 375-394. [Open Access]
154. H Rawson, JA Naranjo, V Smith, K Fontijn, DM Pyle, TA Mather, H Moreno, The frequency and magnitude of post-glacial explosive eruptions at Volcan Mocho-Choshuenco, southern Chile. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research 299, 109-123, doi:10.1016/j.jvolgeores.2015.04.003 [Open Access]
152. TJ Browning, K Stone, H Bouman, TA Mather, DM Pyle, M Moore, V Martinez-Vicente, Volcanic ash supply to the surface ocean – remote sensing of biological responses and their wider biogeochemical significance. Frontiers in Marine Science 2, art 14, doi: 10.3389/fmars.2015.00014 [Open Access].
151. W Hutchison, TA Mather, DM Pyle, J Biggs, G Yirgu, Structural controls on fluid pathways at a young rift volcano, Geosphere 11 (3) 542-562 doi: [Open Access].
150. MW Airey, TA Mather, DM Pyle, LS Glaze, RC Ghail, CF Wilson, Explosive volcanic activity on Venus: The roles of volatile contribution, degassing, and external environment, Planetary and Space Science 113-114, 33-48 [Open Access; Exploration of Venus Special Issue]
149. MM Parks, J Moore, X Papanikolaou, J Biggs, TA Mather, DM Pyle, C Raptakis, D Paradissis, A Hooper, B Parsons, P Nomikou, From quiescence to unrest – 20 years of satellite geodetic measurements at Santorini volcano, Greece. Journal of Geophysical Research (Solid Earth), 120, 1309-1328, doi:10.1002/2014JB011540 [Open Access]
148. MJ Stock, MCS Humphreys, VC Smith, RD Johnson, DM Pyle and EIMF, New constraints on electron-beam induced halogen migration in apatite. American Mineralogist 100, 281-293. [Open Access].
147. TA Mather, DM Pyle, Volcanic emissions: short-term perturbations, long-term consequences and global environmental change. In Volcanism and Global Environmental Change (Edited by L.T. Elkins-Tanton, A. Schmidt and K. Fristad), Cambridge University Press, 208 – 227.
146. OD Lamb, NR Varley, TA Mather, DM Pyle, PJ Smith, EJ Liu, Multiple timescales of cyclical behaviour observed at two dome-forming eruptions. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research 284, 106-121. [Open Access]
145. ML Daggitt, TA Mather, DM Pyle, S Page, AshCalc – A new tool for the comparison of the exponential, power-law and Weibull models of tephra deposition, Journal of Applied Volcanology, 3: 7 [Open Access].
144. EB Webb, NR Varley, DM Pyle, TA Mather, Thermal imaging and analysis of short-lived Vulcanian explosions at Volcán de Colima, Mexico, Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research 278-279, 132-145.
143. TJ Browning, HA Bouman, GM Henderson, TA Mather, DM Pyle, C Schlosser, EMS Woodward, CM Moore, Strong responses of Southern Ocean phytoplankton communities to volcanic ash, Geophysical Research Letters 41, doi: 10.1002/2014GL059364.
142. P Nomikou, MM Parks, D Papanikolaou, DM Pyle, TA Mather, S Carey, AB Watts, M Paulatto, ML Kalnins, I Livanos, K Bejelou, E Simou, I Perros, The emergence and growth of a submarine volcano: the Kameni islands, Santorini, Greece, GeoResJ 1-2, 8-18. [Open Access]
141. K Fontijn, SM Lachowycz, H Rawson, DM Pyle, TA Mather, JA Naranjo, H Moreno-Roa, Late Quaternary tephrostratigraphy of southern Chile and Argentina, Quaternary Science Reviews 89, 70 – 84. [Open Access]
140. DM Pyle, TA Mather, J Biggs, Remote sensing of volcanoes and volcanic processes: integrating observation and modelling – introduction. In: DM Pyle, TA Mather and J Biggs (eds), Remote Sensing of Volcanoes and Volcanic Processes, Geological Society Special Publication 380, 1-13. [Free content]
139. W Hutchison, N Varley, DM Pyle, TA Mather, JA Stevenson, Airborne thermal remote sensing of the Volcan de Colima (Mexico) lava dome from 2007 to 2010, In: DM Pyle, TA Mather and J Biggs (eds), Remote Sensing of Volcanoes and Volcanic Processes, Geological Society Special Publication 380, 203-228.
138. S Lachowycz, DM Pyle, TA Mather, NR Varley, HM Odbert, PD Cole, GA Reyes-Davila, Long-range correlations identified in time-series of volcano seismicity during dome-forming eruptions using detrended fluctuation analysis, Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research 264, 197-209.
137. MM Parks, S Caliro, G Chiodini, DM Pyle, TA Mather, K Berlo, M Edmonds, J Biggs, P Nomikou, C Raptakis, Distinguishing contributions to diffuse CO2 emissions in volcanic areas from magmatic degassing and thermal decarbonation using soil gas 222Rn-d13C systematics: application to Santorini volcano, Greece.Earth and Planetary Science Letters 377-378, 180-190.
136. K Berlo, H Tuffen, V Smith, JM Castro, DM Pyle, TA Mather, K Geraki, Element variations in rhyolitic magma resulting from gas transport, Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 121, 436-451.
135. EJ Nicholson, TA Mather, DM Pyle, HM Odbert, T Christopher, Cyclical patterns in volcanic degassing revealed by SO2 flux timeseries analysis: an application to Soufrière Hills Volcano, Montserrat, Earth and Planetary Science Letters 375, 209-221.
133. DJ Ferguson, J Maclennan, ID Bastow, DM Pyle, SM Jones, D Keir, JD Blundy, T Plank, G Yirgu, Melting during late stage rifting in Afar is hot and deep, Nature, 499, 70-73.
132. SFL Watt, DM Pyle, TA Mather, Evidence of mid- to late-Holocene explosive rhyolitic eruptions from Chaiten volcano, Chile, Andean Geology 40, 216-226. [Open Access]
131. SFL Watt, DM Pyle, TA Mather, The volcanic response to deglaciation: evidence from glaciated arcs and a reassessment of global eruption records, Earth Science Reviews 122, 77-102.
130. DJ Ferguson, AT Calvert, DM Pyle, JD Blundy, G Yirgu, TJ Wright, Constraining timescales of focussed magmatic accretion and extension in the Afar crust using lava geochronology, Nature Communications, 4, 1416.
129. JAJ Scott, DM Pyle, TA Mather, WI Rose, Geochemistry and evolution of the Santiaguito dome complex, Guatemala. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research 252, 92-107.
128. MM Parks et al., Evolution of Santorini volcano dominated by episodic and rapid fluxes of melt from depth. Nature Geoscience 5, 749-754
127. DM Pyle, Perspective: Small volcanic eruptions and the stratospheric sulphate aerosol burden, Environmental Research Letters 7, 031001. [Open Access]
126. SJ Collins, J Maclennan, DM Pyle, SJ Barnes. BGJ Upton, Two phases of sulphide saturation in Reunion magmas: evidence from cumulates. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 337-338, 104-113.
125. NE Matthews, C Huber, DM Pyle, VC Smith, Timescales of silicic magma chamber recharge and reactivation from Ti diffusion in Quartz, Journal of Petrology 53, 1385-1416.
124. JAJ Scott, TA Mather, DM Pyle, WI Rose, G Chigna, The magmatic plumbing system beneath Santiaguito volcano, Guatemala, Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research 237-238, 54-68.
123. RS Martin, MLI Witt, GM Sawyer, HE Thomas, SFL Watt, E Bagnato, S Calabrese, A Aiuppa, P Delmelle, DM Pyle, TA Mather, Bioindication of volcanic mercury (Hg) deposition around Mt. Etna (Sicily), Chemical Geology 310-311, 12-22.
122. NE Matthews, VC Smith, A Costa, A Durant, DM Pyle, NJ Pearce, Ultra-distal tephra deposits from super-eruptions: examples from Toba and New Zealand. Quaternary International (Toba volume), 258, 54-79.
121. TA Mather, MLI Witt, DM Pyle, BM Quayle, A Aiuppa, E Bagnato, RS Martin, KWW Sims, M Edmonds, AJ Sutton, E Ilyinskaya, Halogens and trace metal emissions from the ongoing 2008 summit eruption of Kilauea volcano, Hawaii, Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 83, 292-323.
120. NE Matthews, DM Pyle, VC Smith, CJN Wilson, C Huber, V van Hinsberg, Quartz zoning and the pre-eruptive evolution of the ~340 ka Whakamaru magma systems, New Zealand. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology 163, 87-107.
119. SFL Watt, DM Pyle, JA Naranjo, G Rosqvist, M Mella, TA Mather,H Moreno, Holocene tephrochronology of the Hualaihue region (Andean southern volcanic zone, ~ 42 S), southern Chile. Quaternary International (INTREPID volume), 246, 324-343.
118. SFL Watt, DM Pyle, TA Mather, Geology, petrology and geochemistry of the dome complex of Huequi volcano, southern Chile. Andean Geology 38, 335-348. [Open Access]
117. F Alfano, C Bonadonna, ACM. Volentik, CB Connor, SFL Watt, DM Pyle, LJ Connor, Tephra stratigraphy and eruptive volume of the May, 2008, Chaitén eruption, Chile, Bulletin of Volcanology 73, 613-630.
116. MM Parks, J Biggs, TA Mather, DM Pyle, F Amelung, ML Monsalve and L Narváez Medina, Co-eruptive subsidence at Galeras identified during an InSAR survey of Colombian volcanoes (2006-2009), Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research 202, 228-240.
115. RS Martin, MLI Witt, DM Pyle, TA Mather, SFL Watt, E Bagnato, S Calabrese, Rapid oxidation of mercury (Hg) at volcanic vents: insights from high temperature thermodynamic models of Mt Etna’s emissions. Chemical Geology 283, 279-286.
114. RS Martin, TA Mather, DM Pyle, JA Day, MLI Witt, SJ Collins, RG Hilton, Major and trace element distributions around active volcanic vents determined by analyses of grasses: implications for element cycling and biomonitoring, Bulletin of Volcanology 72 (8), 1009-1020, doi:10.1007/s00445-010-0374-7
113. MLI Witt, TA Mather, AR Baker, JCM de Hoog, DM Pyle, Atmospheric trace metals over the south-west Indian Ocean: Total gaseous mercury, aerosol trace metal concentrations and lead isotope ratios, Marine Chemistry, 121, 2-16, doi: 10.1016/j.marchem.2010.02.005.
112. ML Rampey, C Oppenheimer, DM Pyle, G Yirgu, Caldera forming eruptions of the Quaternary Kone Volcanic Complex, Ethiopia, Journal of African Earth Sciences, 58, 51-66.
111. DJ Ferguson, TD Barnie, DM Pyle, C Oppenheimer, G Yirgu, E Lewi, T Kidane, S Carn, I Hamling, Recent rift-related volcanism in Afar, Ethiopia, Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 292, 409-418, doi: 10.1016/j.epsl.2010.02.010
110. MLI Witt, N Meheran, TA Mather, JCM de Hoog, DM Pyle, Aerosol trace metals, particle morphology and total gaseous mercury in the atmosphere of Oxford, UK, Atmospheric Environment, 44, 1524-1538, doi:10.1016/jatmosenv.2010.01.008
109. TE Wright, M Burton, DM Pyle, T Caltabiano, Visualising Volcanic Gas Plumes with Virtual Globes, Computers and Geosciences 35, 1837-1842, doi:10.1016/j.cageo.2009.02.005
108. RS Martin, SFL Watt, DM Pyle, TA Mather, NE Matthews, RB Georg, JA Day, T Fairhead, MLI Witt, BM Quayle, Environmental effects of ashfall in Argentina from the 2008 Chaiten volcanic eruption, Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research 184, 462-472.
107. SFL Watt, DM Pyle, JA Naranjo and TA Mather, Landslide and tsunami hazard at Yate volcano, Chile, as an example of edifice destruction on strike-slip fault zones, Bulletin of Volcanology 71, 559-574.
106. SJ Collins, DM Pyle, J Maclennan, Melt inclusions track pre-eruption storage and dehydration of magmas at Etna, Geology 37, 571-574
105. DM Pyle, TA Mather, Halogens in igneous processes and their fluxes to the atmosphere and oceans from volcanic activity: A review, Chemical Geology 263, 110-121
104. RS Martin, TJ Roberts, TA Mather, DM Pyle, The implications of H2S and H2 kinetic stability in high-T mixtures of magmatic and atmospheric gases for the production of oxidized trace species (e.g., BrO and NOx), Chemical Geology 263, 143-150
103. RS Martin, TA Mather, DM Pyle, M Power, VI Tsanev, C Oppenheimer, AG Allen, CJ Horwell, EPW Ward, Size distributions of fine silicate and other particles in Masaya’s volcanic plume, Journal of Geophysical Research (Atmospheres) 114, D09217, doi:10.1029/2008JD011211. Editors’ highlight.
102. SFL Watt, DM Pyle, TA Mather,RS Martin, NE Matthews, Fallout and distribution of volcanic ash over Argentina following the May 2008 explosive eruption of Chaiten, Chile, Journal of Geophysical Research (Solid Earth) 114, B04207, doi:10.1029/2008JB006219
101. C Oppenheimer and DM Pyle, Volcanoes. Chapter 15, In: JC Woodward (ed), The Physical Geography of the Mediterranean Basin, Oxford University Press, pp 427-460.
100. DM Pyle, V Margari, Reply: Correlation of a widespread Pleistocene tephra marker from the Nisyros-Yali volcanic complex, Greece, Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research 181, 251-254
99. SFL Watt, DM Pyle , TA Mather, The influence of Great Earthquakes on volcanic eruption rate along the Chilean subduction zone, Earth and Planetary Science Letters 277, 399-407.
98. RS Martin, TA Mather, DM Pyle, SFL Watt, J Day, SJ Collins, TE Wright, A Aiuppa, S Calabrese, Sweet chestnut (Castanea sativa) leaves as a bio-indicator of volcanic gas, aerosol and ash deposition onto the flanks of Mt Etna in 2005 – 2007. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research 179, 107-119.
97. MLI Witt, TP Fischer, DM Pyle, TF Yang and GF Zellmer, Fumarole compositions and mercury emissions from the Tatun Volcanic Field, Taiwan: Results from multi component gas analyser, portable mercury spectrometer and direct sampling techniques, Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research 178, 636-643.
96. J Barclay, K Haynes, T Mitchell, C Solana, R Teeuw, A Darnell, HS Crosweller, P Cole, D Pyle, C Lowe, C Fearnley, I Kelman, 2008, Framing volcanic risk communication within disaster risk reduction: finding ways for the social and physical sciences to work together, in: Liverman, D. G. E., Pereira, C. & Marker, B. (eds) Communicating Environmental Geoscience. Geological Society, London, Special Publications, 305, 163–177.
95. SPE Blockley, C Bronk Ramsey and DM Pyle, Improved age modelling and high-precision age estimates of late Quaternary tephras for accurate palaeoclimate reconstruction, Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research 177, 251-262.
94. RS Martin, TA Mather, DM Pyle, M Power, AG Allen, A Aiuppa, CJ Horwell and EPW Ward, Composition-resolved size distributions of volcanic aerosols in the Mt. Etna plumes, Journal of Geophysical Research – Atmospheres 113, D17211, doi:10.1029/2008GL034640.
93. TE Wright, M Burton, DM Pyle, T Caltabiano, Scanning tomography of SO2 distribution in a volcanic gas plume, Geophysical Research Letters, 35, L17811, doi:10.1029/2008GL034640.
92. MLI Witt, TA Mather, DM Pyle, A Aiuppa, E Bagnato and VI Tsanev, Mercury and halogen emissions from Masaya and Telica volcanoes, Nicaragua, Journal of Geophysical Research – Solid Earth, 113, B06203.
91. TA Mather, DM Pyle and THE Heaton, Investigation of the use of filter packs to measure the sulphur isotopic composition of volcanic sulphur dioxide and the sulphur and oxygen isotopic composition of volcanic sulphate aerosol, Atmospheric Environment 42, 4611-4618..
90. A Aiuppa, E Bagnato, MLI Witt, TA Mather, F Parello, DM Pyle and RS Martin, Real-time simultaneous detection of volcanic Hg and SO2 at La Fossa Crater, Vulcano (Aeolian Islands, Sicily), Geophysical Research Letters 34, L21307.
89. E Bagnato, A Aiuppa, F Parello, S Calabrese, W D’Alessandro, TA Mather, AJS McGonigle, DM Pyle and I Wangberg, Degassing of gaseous (elemental and reactive) and particulate mercury from Mount Etna volcano (Southern Italy), Atmospheric Environment 41, 7377-7388.
88. SFL Watt, TA Mather, DM Pyle, Vulcanian explosion cycles: patterns and predictability, Geology, 35, 839-842.
87. RS Martin, TA Mather, DM Pyle, Volcanic emissions and the early Earth atmosphere, Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 71, 3673-3685.
86. M Petraglia et al., Middle Paleolithic assemblages from the Indian subcontinent before and after the Toba super-eruption Science, 317, 114-116 [6 July 2007].
85. V Margari, DM Pyle, C Bryant, PL Gibbard, Mediterranean tephra stratigraphy revisited: results from a long terrestrial sequence on Lesvos Island, Greece, Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, 163, 34-54.
84. SFL Watt, DM Pyle, TA Mather, JA Day, A Aiuppa, The use of tree-rings and foliage as an archive of volcanogenic cation deposition, Environmental Pollution, 148, 48 – 61.
83. A Aiuppa, A Franco, R von Glasow, AG Allen, W D’Alessandro, TA Mather, DM Pyle, M Valenza, The tropospheric processing of acidic gases and hydrogen sulphide in volcanic gas plumes as inferred from field and model investigations, Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 7, 1441-1450
82. TA Mather, RG Harrison, VI Tsanev, DM Pyle, ML Karamudi, AJ Bennett, GM Sawyer, EJ Highwood, Observations of the plume generated by the December 2005 oil depot explosions and prolonged fire at Buncefield (Hertfordshire, UK) and associated atmospheric changes. Proceedings of the Royal Society A, 463, 1153-1177.
81. DM Pyle, GD Ricketts, V Margari, TH van Andel, AA Sinitsyn, ND Praslov, S Lisitsyn, Wide dispersal and deposition of distal tephra during the Pleistocene ‘Campanian Ignimbrite/Y5’ eruption, Italy, Quaternary Science Reviews 25 (21-22), 2713-2728.
80. GA Millard, TA Mather, DM Pyle, WI Rose, B Thornton, Halogen emissions from a small volcanic eruption: Modeling the peak concentrations, dispersion and volcanically induced ozone loss in the stratosphere, Geophysical Research Letters, 33, L19815
79. TA Mather, JR McCabe, V Kumar Rai, MH Thiemens, DM Pyle, THE Heaton, HJ Sloane, GR Fern, Oxygen and sulfur isotopic composition of volcanic sulfate aerosol at the point of emission, Journal of Geophysical Research, 111, D18, D18205
78. DM Pyle, JR Elliott, Quantitative morphology, recent evolution and future activity of the Kameni islands volcano, Santorini, Greece, Geosphere 2 (5), 253-268 [Open Access]
77. DAG Nowell, MC Jones and DM Pyle, Episodic Quaternary Volcanism in France and Germany. Journal of Quaternary Science 21 (6), 645-675
76. VM Martin, DM Pyle, MB Holness, The role of crystal frameworks in the preservation of enclaves during magma mixing, Earth and Planetary Science Letters 248, 787-799
75. VM Martin, MB Holness, DM Pyle, Textural analysis of magmatic enclaves from the Kameni Islands, Santorini, Greece. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research 154, 89-102
74. AG Allen, TA Mather, AJS McGonigle, A Aiuppa, P Delmelle, B Davison, N Bobrowski, C Oppenheimer, DM Pyle, S Inguaggiato, Sources, size distribution and downwind grounding of aerosols from Mt Etna, Journal of Geophysical Research, 111, D10302
73. RS Martin, TA Mather, DM Pyle, High temperature mixtures of magmatic and atmospheric gases G-cubed, 7, Q04006
72. TA Mather, DM Pyle, VI Tsanev, AJS McGonigle, C Oppenheimer and AG Allen, A reassessment of current volcanic emissions from the Central American Arc, with specific examples from Nicaragua, Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, 149, 297-311
71. GR Fern, TA Mather, DM Pyle, Investigation of near-source basaltic glasses using 57Fe Mossbauer spectroscopy, Hyperfine interactions 166, 705-708
70. MB Holness, VM Martin, DM Pyle, Information about open-system magma chambers derived from textures in magmatic enclaves: the Kameni Islands, Santorini, Greece, Geological Magazine 142, 637-649
69. DM Pyle, TA Mather, The regional influence of volcanic emissions from Popocatéptl, Mexico. Discussion of “Measurement of aerosol particles, gases and flux radiation in the Pico de Orizaba Nacional Park, and its relationship to air pollution transport” by Márquez et al., 2005. Atmospheric Environment 39, 6475-6478
68. NV Chalapathi Rao, SA Gibson, DM Pyle, AP Dickin, J Day, Petrogenesis of Proterozoic lamproites and kimberlites from the Cuddapah Basin and Dharwar Craton, Southern India: a Reply. Journal of Petrology 46, 1081-1084
67. BG Mason, DM Pyle, C Oppenheimer, The size and frequency of the largest explosive eruptions on Earth, Bulletin of Volcanology 66 (8), 735-748
66. TA Mather, VI Tsanev, DM Pyle, AJS McGonigle, C Oppenheimer and AG Allen Characterization and evolution of tropospheric plumes from Lascar and Villarrica volcanoes, Chile. Journal of Geophysical Research (Atmospheres), 109, No. D21, D21303
65. TA Mather, DM Pyle, AG Allen, Volcanic source for fixed nitrogen in the early Earth’s atmosphere, Geology, 32, 905-908
64. TA Mather and DM Pyle, Volcanic emissions of mercury to the atmosphere: global and regional inventories. Comment. Science of the Total Environment 327, 323-329
63. NV Chalapathi Rao, SA Gibson, DM Pyle and AP Dickin, Petrogenesis of Proterozoic lamproites and diamondiferous kimberlites from the Cuddapah Basin and Dharwar craton, Southern India. Journal of Petrology 45, 907-948
62. BG Mason, DM Pyle, WB Dade, TE Jupp, Seasonality of volcanic eruptions, Journal of Geophysical Research, Vol 109, No B4, B04206
61. TE Jupp, DM Pyle, BG Mason, WB Dade, A statistical model for the timing of earthquakes and volcanic eruptions influenced by periodic processes Journal of Geophysical Research, 109, No. B2, B02206
60. TA Mather, AG Allen, BM Davidson, DM Pyle, C Oppenheimer, AJS McGonigle, Nitric acid from volcanoes, Earth and Planetary Science Letters 218, 17-30
59. TA Mather, DM Pyle and C Oppenheimer, Tropospheric volcanic aerosol, Geophysical Monograph 139, 189-212.
58. TA Mather, AG Allen, C Oppenheimer, DM Pyle and AJS McGonigle, Size-Resolved characterisation of soluble ions in the particles in the tropospheric plume of Masaya Volcano, Nicaragua: origins and plume processing, Journal of Atmospheric Chemistry 46, 207-237
57. DM Pyle and TA Mather, The importance of volcanic emissions for the global atmospheric mercury cycle, Atmospheric Environment 37 (36), 5115 – 5124
56. DM Pyle, Discussion of “The Dorothy Bentonite: an extraordinary case of secondary thickening in a late Campanian volcanic ash fall in central Alberta”, Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences, 40, 1169-1170
55. HJ Duffell, C Oppenheimer, D Pyle, B Galle and M Burton, Geochemical precursors to a minor explosive eruption at Masaya volcano, Nicaragua, Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, 126, 327-339
54. M Edmonds, C Oppenheimer, DM Pyle and RA Herd, Rainwater and ash leachate analysis as proxies for plume chemistry at Soufrière Hills Volcano, Montserrat, in Oppenheimer et al., eds, Volcanic degassing, Geol Soc London Spec Pub, 213, 203-218.
53. M Edmonds, C Oppenheimer, DM Pyle, RA Herd and G Thompson, SO2 emissions from Soufriere Hills Volcano and their relationship to conduit permability, hydrothermal interaction and degassing regime. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, 124, 23-43
52. SC Loughlin, ES Calder, A Clarke, PD Cole, R Luckett, MT Mangan, DM Pyle, RSJ Sparks, B Voight, RB Watts Pyroclastic flows and surges generated by the 25 June 1997 dome collapse, Soufrière Hills Volcano, Montserrat Geological Society, London, Memoirs, 21, 191 – 209
51. AJS McGonigle, C Oppenheimer, B Galle, TA Mather and DM Pyle, Walking traverse and scanning DOAS measurements of volcanic gas emission rates, Geophysical Research Letters 29 (20), 1985
50. M Edmonds, D Pyle and C Oppenheimer, HCl emissions at Soufriere Hills Volcano Montserrat, during a second phase of dome building: November 1999 to October 2000, Bulletin of Volcanology 64, 21-30
49. C Oppenheimer, MR Burton, J Durieux and DM Pyle, Open-path Fourier transform spectroscopy of gas emissions from Oldoinyo Lengai volcano, Tanzania. Optics and Lasers in Engineering 37, 203-214.
48. SA Carn and DM Pyle, Petrology and Geochemistry of the Lamongan Volcanic Field, East Java, Indonesia: Primitive Sunda arc magmas in an extensional tectonic setting? Journal of Petrology 42 (9), 1643 – 1683.
47. M Edmonds, D Pyle and C Oppenheimer, A model for degassing at the Soufriere Hills volcano, Montserrat, based on geochemical data, Earth and Planetary Science Letters 186, 159-173
46. MA Lagmay, B van Wyk de Vries, NA Kerle and DM Pyle, Volcano instability induced by strike-slip faulting, Bulletin of Volcanology, 62, 331-346
45. IM Watson et al., The relationship between degassing and ground deformation at Soufriere Hills Volcano, Montserrat, Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research 98, 117-126
44. BF Houghton, CJN Wilson and DM Pyle, Pyroclastic fall deposits, in H. Sigurdsson et al., eds, Encyclopedia of Volcanology, Academic Press, pp. 555 – 570.
43. DM Pyle, Sizes of volcanic eruptions, in H. Sigurdsson et al., eds, Encyclopedia of Volcanology, Academic Press, pp. 263 – 269.
42. DM Pyle, Widely dispersed Quaternary tephra in Africa, Global and Planetary Change 21, 95-112
41. NV Chalapathi Rao, JA Miller, SA Gibson, DM Pyle and V Madhavan, Reply to comment on: Precise 40Ar/39Ar age determinations of the Kotakonda kimberlite and Chelima lamproite, India: implication to the timing of mafic dyke swarm emplacement in the eastern Dharwar craton, Journal of the Geological Society of India 53.
40. MA Lagmay, DM Pyle, B Dade and C Oppenheimer, Control of crater morphology on flow path direction of Soufriere-type pyroclastic flows. Journal of Geophysical Research 104, 7169-7181
39. DM Pyle, Volcanoes: how did the summer go? Nature (News and Views) 393, 415-417, 1998
38. NV Chalapathi Rao, JA Miller, SA Gibson, DM Pyle and V Madhavan, Precise 40Ar/39Ar age determinations of the Kotakonda kimberlite and Chelima lamproite, India: implication to the timing of mafic dyke swarm emplacement in the eastern Dharwar craton, Journal of the Geological Society of India 53, 425-432.
37. DM Pyle, Investigations of three tuff samples. Appendix in J.M. Cook and R.V. Nicholls, Old Smyrna excavations: the temples of Athena. Supplementary Volume, British School of Archaeology at Athens 30, 205-207.
36. NV Chalapathi Rao, SA Gibson, DM Pyle and AP Dickin, Contrasting isotopic mantle sources for Proterozoic lamproites and kimberlites from the Cuddapah basin and Eastern Dharwar craton: implication for Proterozoic mantle heterogeneity beneath southern India. Journal of the Geological Society of India 52, 683-694.
35. DM Pyle, TH van Andel, P Paschos and P van den Bogaard, An exceptionally thick Middle Pleistocene tephra layer from Epirus, Greece, Quaternary Research, 49, 280-286
34. DM Pyle, Forecasting size and repose times of future extreme volcanic events, Geology, 26, 367-370
33. AW Woods and DM Pyle, The control of chamber geometry on triggering volcanic eruptions, Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 151, 155-162
32. EVSSK Babu, Kumar and DM Pyle, Spinel (hercynite) adcumulate from the Chimakurti gabbro-anorthosite pluton, Prakasam district, Andhra Pradesh, India: evidence for plagioclase buoyancy and magma mixing. Current Science, 73, 441-444.
31. DM Pyle, The global impact of the Minoan eruption of Santorini, Greece. Environmental Geology, 30, 59-61
30. S Bekki, JA Pyle, W Zhong, R Toumi, JD Haigh, DM Pyle, The role of microphysical and chemical processes in prolonging the climate forcing of the Toba eruption. Geophysical Research Letters, 23, 2669-2672
29. NVC Rao, JA Miller, DM Pyle and V Madhavan, New Proterozoic K-Ar ages for some kimberlites and lamproites from the Cuddapah basin and Dharwar craton, south India: evidence for non-contemporaneous emplacement. Precambrian Research, 79, 363-369
28. DM Pyle, PD Beattie and GJS Bluth, Sulphur emissions to the stratosphere from explosive volcanic eruptions, Bulletin of Volcanology, 57, 663-671
27. NVC Rao, SJB Reed, DM Pyle and PD Beattie, Larnitic Kirschsteinite from the Kotakonda kimberlite, Andhra Pradesh, India. Mineralogical Magazine 60, 513-516.
26. JB Dawson, DM Pyle and H Pinkerton, Evolution of natrocarbonatite from a wollastonite nephelinite parent: evidence from the June 1993 eruption of Oldoinyo Lengai, Tanzania. Journal of Geology 104, 41-54.
25. DM Pyle, Assessment of the minimum volume of tephra fall deposits, Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research 69, 379-382
24. DM Pyle and DL Pyle, Bubble migration and the initiation of volcanic eruptions,Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research 67, 227-232
23. DM Pyle, Mass and energy budgets of explosive volcanic eruptions, Geophysical Research Letters, 22 (5), 563-566.
22. DM Pyle, Decay series evidence for transfer and storage times of natrocarbonatite magma. Chapter 9, in, “Carbonatite volcanism: Oldoinyo Lengai and the petrogenesis of natrocarbonatite” K Bell and J. Keller, eds. , Proceedings in Volcanology 4, 124 – 136
21. JB Dawson, H Pinkerton, GE Norton, DM Pyle, P Browning, D Jackson and AE Fallick, Petrology and geochemistry of Oldoinyo Lengai lavas extruded in November 1988: magma source, ascent and crystallisation. Chapter 4, in, “Carbonatite volcanism: Oldoinyo Lengai and the petrogenesis of natrocarbonatite” K Bell and J. Keller, eds., Proceedings in Volcanology 4, 47-69
20. DM Pyle, H Pinkerton, GE Norton and JB Dawson, Dynamics of degassing at Oldoinyo Lengai, Chapter 3, in, “Carbonatite volcanism: Oldoinyo Lengai and the petrogenesis of natrocarbonatite” K Bell and J. Keller, eds. Proceedings in Volcanology 4, 37-46.
19. H Pinkerton, GE Norton, JB Dawson and DM Pyle, Field observations and measurements of the physical properties of Oldoinyo Lengai alkali carbonatite lavas, November 1988, Chapter 2, in, “Carbonatite volcanism: Oldoinyo Lengai and the petrogenesis of natrocarbonatite” K Bell and J. Keller, eds. , Proceedings in Volcanology 4, 23-36
18. DM Pyle, Volcanoes: reduction of urban hazards (News and Views). Nature 378, 134-135.
17. JB Dawson, H Pinkerton, DM Pyle, and C Nyamweru, June 1993 eruption of Oldoinyo Lengai, Tanzania: exceptionally viscous and large carbonatite lava flows and evidence for coexisting silicate and carbonate magmas. Geology 22, 799-802.
16. DM Pyle, Reply to comment by M. Condomines. Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 122, 257-258
15. DM Pyle, Isotope disequilibrium studies and magmatic processes. Geoscientist, 4(3), 18-20.
14. DM Pyle, Geochemical hazard indicators (News and Views). Nature, 362, 787-788.
13. DM Pyle, Graphical analysis of rare gas mixing systematics in geothermal systems. Geochemical Journal, 27, 125-129.
12. JB Gill, DM Pyle and RW Williams, Igneous rocks; Chapter 7 in “Uranium series disequilibrium: applications to environmental problems”, 2nd edn, eds. M Ivanovich and RS Harmon, Oxford University Press, 207-258, 1992.
11. DM Pyle, The volume and residence time of magma beneath active volcanoes determined by decay-series disequilibria methods, Earth and Planetary Science Letters 112, 61-73, 1992.
10. DM Pyle, On the “climatic effectiveness” of volcanic eruptions. Quaternary Research 37, 125-129.
9. DM Pyle, JB Dawson and M Ivanovich, Short-lived decay series disequilibria in the natrocarbonatite lavas of Oldoinyo Lengai, Tanzania: constraints on the timing of magma genesis. Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 105, 378-396, 1991.
8. JB Dawson, H Pinkerton, G Norton and DM Pyle, Physicochemical properties of carbonatite lavas: data from the 1988 eruption of Oldoinyo Lengai, Tanzania, Geology 18, 260-263, 1990.
7. DM Pyle, The application of ice-core and tree-ring studies to the Minoan eruption, In: Thera and the Aegean World III, vol 3, eds. D Hardy and AC Renfrew, pp 167-173, The Thera Foundation, London, 1990.
6. DM Pyle, New volume estimates for the Minoan eruption, In: Thera and the Aegean World III, vol 2, eds. D Hardy, J. Keller, VP Galanopoulos, NC Flemming and TH Druitt, pp 113-121; The Thera Foundation, London, 1990.
5. PW Francis, RSJ Sparks, CJ Hawkesworth, RS Thorpe, DM Pyle, SR Tait, MS Mantovani and F McDermott, Petrology and geochemistry of volcanic rocks of the Cerro Galan caldera, Northwest Argentina, Geological Magazine 126, 515-547.
4. TH Druitt, RA Mellors, DM Pyle and RSJ Sparks, Explosive volcanism on Santorini, Greece, Geological Magazine 126, 95-126.
3. DM Pyle, Ice-core acidity peaks, retarded tree-growth and putative eruptions, Archaeometry 31, 88-91.
2. DM Pyle, The thickness, volume and grainsize of tephra fall deposits, Bulletin of Volcanology, 51, 1-15.
1. DM Pyle, M Ivanovich and RSJ Sparks, Magma-cumulate mixing identified by U-Th disequilibrium dating, Nature 331, 157-159.
2017 – ‘Detecting the next volcanic eruption’, Natural History, June 2017, v. 125, (6), 25-31.