In my research I use seismological observations to constrain the composition, dynamics and evolution of the Earth. In particular, I focus on imaging the lowermost mantle, where many fundamental questions still remain unanswered regarding the driving forces of mantle convection and the nature of the interaction between Earth’s mantle and core.
To date, my work can be grouped into three different research areas: observations of seismic signals with sensitivity to the deep Earth, the long wavelength velocity and density structure of the Earth’s mantle, and the interpretation of seismological observations using geodynamical models. An overarching theme in many of these studies has been the quantification of uncertainties, and their importance for drawing meaningful inferences on Earth’s structure.
Tutor for 3rd year Vector Calculus
Lecturer and Tutor for 2nd year Geophysical methods
Tutor for 1st year Mathematics for Earth Sciences
View Selected Publications
- Koelemeijer, P., B.S.A. Schuberth, D.R. Davies, A. Deuss and J. Ritsema (2018). Constraints on the presence of post-perovskite in Earth’s lowermost mantle from tomographic-geodynamic model comparisons. Earth Planet. Sci. Lett., in press.
- Mortimer, B., W. Rees, P. Koelemeijer & T. Nissen-Meyer (2018). Classifying elephant behaviour through seismic vibrations. Current Biology, in press.
- Zaroli, C., P. Koelemeijer and S. Lambotte (2017). Toward seeing the Earth’s interior through unbiased tomographic lenses. Geophys. Res. Lett., Vol. 44, doi:10.1002/2017GL074996.
- Koelemeijer, P. , A. Deuss and J. Ritsema (2017). Density structure of Earth’s lowermost mantle from Stoneley mode splitting observations. Nature Comm., Vol. 8, 15241, doi:10.1038/ncomms15241.
- Koelemeijer, P., J. Ritsema, A. Deuss, and H.-J. van Heijst (2016). “SP12RTS: a degree-12 model of compressional and shear wave velocity in the Earth’s mantle”, Geophys. J. Int., Vol. 204(2), 1024-1039, doi:10.1093/gji/ggv481.
- Koelemeijer, P., A. Deuss, and J. Ritsema (2013). “Observations of core-mantle boundary Stoneley modes”, Geophys. Res. Lett., Vol. 40 (11), 2557-2561, doi:10.1002/grl.50514.
- Soldati, G., Koelemeijer, P., L. Boschi and A. Deuss (2013). “Constraints on core-mantle boundary topography from normal mode splitting”, G-cubed, Vol. 14(5), 1333-1342, doi:10.1002/ggge.20115.
- Koelemeijer, P.J., A. Deuss and J. Trampert (2012). “Normal mode sensitivity to Earth’s D” layer and topography on the core-mantle boundary: What we can and cannot see”, Geophys. J. Int., Vol. 190(1), 553–568, doi:10.1111/j.1365-246X.2012.05499.x.
- Koelemeijer, P.J., C.J. Peach and C.J. Spiers (2012). “Surface diffusivity of cleaved NaCl crystals as a function of humidity: Impedance spectroscopy measurements and implications for crack healing in rocksalt”, J. Geophys. Res. B, Vol. 117, B01205, 15 pp. doi:10.1029/2011JB008627.