Work and Education:
2019-present Postdoctoral Research Associate, Department of Earth Sciences, University of Oxford, UK
2016-2019 John W. Miles Postdoctoral Fellow at IGPP, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, UCSD, USA
2012-2016 DPhil. Natural Sciences – Geophysics, Johannes Gutenberg University, Mainz, Germany,
2008-2012 MEarthSci. Earth Sciences, University of Oxford, UK
I use 2-D and 3-D, single- and two-phase numerical models to study dynamics of plate boundaries (subduction, continental collision and mid-ocean ridges). I am primarily interested in understanding the links between solid earth deformation, magma dynamics, and development of topography (and other surface observables).
I am part of the RIFT-O-MAT project (ERC funded project, PI Richard Katz) and I am developing analytical and numerical tools to understand how magmatism promotes and shapes rifts in continental and oceanic lithosphere. The goal is to create models of two-phase dynamics of partially molten rocks with complex visco-elasto-plastic rheology that can explain magmatism, faulting and diking at mid-ocean ridges.
Stay tuned on the group research: FoaLab
View Selected Publications
- Pusok, A.E., Stegman, D.R. (2019), Formation and stability of same‐dip double subduction systems, J. Geophys. Res – Solid Earth, doi: 10.1029/2018JB017027. [link]
- Pusok, A.E., Kaus, B., Popov, A. (2018), The effect of rheological approximations in 3-D numerical simulations of subduction and collision, Tectonophys., 746, 296-311, doi:10.1016/j.tecto.2018.04.017. [link]
- Pusok, A.E., Kaus, B.J.P., Popov, A.A. (2017) On the quality of velocity interpolation schemes for marker-in-cell method and 3-D staggered grids, Pure Appl. Geophys., 174: 3, 1071-1089, doi:10.1007/s00024-016-1431-8. [link]
- Kaus, B.J.P., Popov, A.A., Baumann, T.S., Pusok, A.E., Bauville, A., Fernandez, N., Collignon, M. (2016) Forward and inverse modeling of lithospheric deformation on geological timescales, NIC Symposium 2016 – Proceedings, Vol. 48, edited by K. Binder, M. Müller, A. Schnurpfeil, p. 299-307. [link]
- Pusok, A.E., Kaus, B.J.P. (2015) Development of topography in 3-D continental collision models, Geochem., Geophys., Geosyst., 16, doi:10.1002/2015GC005732. [link]