Graduate access programmes now open for 2020 applications
Earth Sciences are pleased to announce that we are taking part in the UNIQ+ scheme for 2020, through the NERC Doctoral Training Partnership.
UNIQ+ is a summer graduate access research internship programme, which builds on the success of our UNIQ residential courses for school students. We know that financial, socio-economic and other life circumstances can make it difficult for some to continue studying beyond an undergraduate degree. UNIQ+ is intended to encourage access to postgraduate study from talented undergraduates who would find continuing into postgraduate study a challenge for reasons other than their academic ability.
Between UNIQ+ and the Wellcome Biomedical Vacation Scholarships (Wellcome BVS) over 60 internships will be available this summer, covering a much wider range of subject areas.
To be eligible you’ll need to be a UK resident studying/having studied at a UK or Irish university for an undergraduate degree (eg BA, BSc, etc). You don’t have to be studying at the University of Oxford to be eligible, and we strongly encourage people studying or who have studied at other UK or Irish universities to apply. You’ll also need to meet our financial and/or socio-economic criteria. Full details about the eligibility criteria can be found on the UNIQ+ webpage.
Opportunities and benefits of UNIQ+
UNIQ+ is a paid internship. You will receive:
- a stipend of £2,500 for a seven-week project (or £1,500 for a four-week Humanities project), designed to offset any loss of the opportunity to take up paid employment during the summer;
- free accommodation provided by one of our colleges (more information about accommodation can be found below);
- a refund up to £250 for your travel expenses to and from Oxford at the start and end of the programme; and
- an application fee waiver for applying to a postgraduate course at Oxford (currently the application fee is £75 per application).
UNIQ+ is designed to:
- enhance your research skills;
- enhance your ability to make a competitive application to postgraduate courses;
- introduce you to leading researchers and staff at the University of Oxford; and
- offer you information about opportunities for postgraduate study and research careers.
The 2020 programmes will run from 6 July for four weeks (Humanities subjects) or seven weeks (all other subjects).
How to Apply:
Applications are now open. The deadline is 12 noon on Monday 24 February 2020.
For full information, including eligibility criteria, go to: www.ox.ac.uk/graduateaccess
Watch the new UNIQ+ video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDEIWmw29sY) and follow UNIQ+ on Facebook and Instagram for more information about this year’s graduate access programmes.