Apprenticeship rewarded with full time role

The Department of Earth Sciences is delighted to have taken part in Oxford University’s apprenticeship scheme, which has been a win-win for both manager and apprentice. Workshop apprentice James King was recently awarded his completion certificate after three years of training under the supervision of manager Jamie Long. James was awarded the Advanced Apprentice Award last year, and Jamie received the Apprentice Mentor Award in 2015.

“Having an apprentice has been brilliant for the Workshop. James is extremely competent and has picked up new skills quickly, allowing me to increase capacity, develop new machinery and take on new jobs,” Jamie explained. “I am delighted that James has agreed to stay on past his apprenticeship end date, and will be working full time with us from January.”

James was also full of praise for the scheme:  “I’ve really enjoyed my time at Earth Sciences. The apprenticeship has allowed me to develop new skills, work on different types of jobs, and use a variety of machines. I’m not in a hurry to go anywhere now, I’ve been made to feel like one of the team, which is great.”

James received his certificate in a ceremony at the Sheldonian last week, along with other apprentices from across the University.

Find out more about the University’s apprenticeship scheme.

Find out more about our Workshop facilities.