Deformation at the Earth’s surface directly reflects dynamic geological and geomorphological processes that shape the planets exterior. My research interests and activities are in the areas of geodesy, remote sensing, glaciers, earthquakes and volcanoes. My research primarily employs a wide range of geodetic and remote sensing techniques, including radar interferometry (InSAR), satellite radar and laser altimetry, and photogrammetry (high-resolution optical imagery and historic aerial photographs), to study glacial motion, and earthquake and volcano deformation. These techniques have allowed me to develop new methods to better measure the deformation of the Earth’s surface in response to geological and environmental processes.
View Selected Publications
- Y. Zhou, R. Walker, J. Hollingsworth, M. Talebian, X. Song & B. Parsons (2016), Coseismic and postseismic displacements from the 1978 Mw 7.3 Tabas-e-Golshan earthquake in eastern Iran, Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 452, 185-196, doi: 10.1016/j.epsl.2016.07.38.
- Y. Zhou, R. Walker, B. Parsons & J. Elliott (2016). Mapping 3D fault geometry in earthquakes using high-resolution topography: Examples from the 2010 El Mayor-Cucapah (Mexico) and 2013 Balochistan (Pakistan) earthquakes, Geophysical Research Letters, 43, 3134-3142, doi:10.1002/2016GL067899.
- Y. Zhou, B. Parsons, J. Elliott, I. Barisin & R. Walker (2015). Assessing the ability of Pleiades stereo imagery to determine height changes in earthquakes: a case study for the El Mayor-Cucapah epicentral area, Journal of Geophysical Research: Solid Earth, 120(12), 8793-8808, doi:10.1002/2015JB012358.
- Y. Zhou, J. Elliott, B. Parsons & R. Walker (2015). The 2013 Balochistan earthquake: an extraordinary or completely ordinary event?, Geophysical Research Letters, 42(15), 6236-6243, doi:10.1002/2015GL065096. (Journal cover)
- Y. Zhou, C. Zhou, F. Deng, D. E, H. Liu & Y. Wen (2015). Improving InSAR elevation models in Antarctica using laser altimetry, accounting for ice motion, orbital errors and atmospheric delays. Remote Sensing of Environment, 162, 112-118, doi:10.1016/j.rse.2015.01.017.
- Y. Zhou, C. Zhou, D. E & Z. Wang (2014). A baseline-combination method for precise estimation of ice motion in Antarctica. IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, 52(9), 5790-5797, doi:10.1109/TGRS.2013.2292815.