My current research focuses on mechanisms driving ocean variability in the subpolar North Atlantic revealed by recent observations. This is a key region for global climate and understanding the processes that give rise to this variability has important implications for climate predictability.
I use ocean general circulation models to investigate what governs subpolar overturning and gyre variability by exploring oceanic response to observationally-motivated perturbations in surface and boundary forcing. This work is part of the SNAP-DRAGON project (PI Helen Johnson).
In my previous research, I focused on the ocean surface boundary layer and its interaction with processes of different lengthscales in the atmosphere.
MSci in Physical Oceanography, Lomonosov Moscow State University (2015)
PhD in Atmospheric and Ocean Physics, Lomonosov Moscow State University (2019)
View Selected Publications
- Studholme, J., Markina, M., Gulev, S., 2021: Role of Surface Gravity Waves in Aquaplanet Ocean Climates, Journal of Advances in Modeling Earth Systems, 13, e2020MS002202. https://doi.org/10.1029/2020MS002202
- Sharmar V., Markina M., Gulev S., 2020: Global Ocean Wind Wave Model Hindcasts Forced by Different Reanalyses: a Comparative Assessment, Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans, 125, e2020JC016710. https://doi.org/10.1029/2020JC016710
- Gavrikov., A., Gulev., S., Markina, M., Tilinina, N., Verezemskaya, P., Barnier, B., Dufour, A., Zolina, O. Krinitsky, M., 2020: RAS-NAAD: 40-year high resolution North Atlantic atmospheric hindcast for multipurpose applications, Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology, 59, 793-817. https://doi.org/10.1175/JAMC-D-19-0190.1
- Markina, M., J. Studholme, and S. Gulev, 2019: Ocean Wind Wave Climate Responses to Wintertime North Atlantic Atmospheric Transient Eddies and Low-Frequency Flow, Journal of Climate, 32, 5619-5638. https://doi.org/10.1175/JCLI-D-18-0595.1
- Markina M., Gavrikov A., Gulev S., Barnier, B., 2018: Developing configuration of WRF model for long-term high-resolution wind wave hindcast over the North Atlantic with WAVEWATCH III, Ocean Dynamics, 68, 11, 1593-1604. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10236-018-1215-z