My interests are in the fields of Paleobiology and Paleoecology, with emphasis in Paleobotany. I am interested in biota diversity, its causes and how vegetation has responded to environmental crises in the geological past. I am also interested in the relationship between the fossil and the sedimentary record and how the interaction between geological and ecological processes can explain the dynamic of plant communities and the nature of their fossil record. I approach these questions using paleobiological information (mainly fossil pollen and spores) and all sort of geological information by applying quantitative methods to understand and correlate geological and evolutionary processes.
For my PhD project I am studying the macroevolutionary history of Neotropical vegetation during the Cenozoic. I am using the palynological and geological record of Northern South America (mainly Colombia) to understand the changes in vegetation in deep time and the relationship of these changes with climate and regional geological processes. I use a combination of techniques, including quantitative biostratigraphy, analityical paleobiology and data mining to analyze the palynological and geological data of my project.
Currently I am working for ECOPETROL S.A as a Palynologist and Biostratigrapher. My experience includes the palynological and geological study of Paleozoic, Cretaceous and Cenozoic sequences from the Neotropics and the application and implementation of biostratigraphic quantitative methods in the oil industry.
View Selected Publications
- Mora, A., Garcia, D., Reyes, A., Parra, M., Blanco, V, Sanchez, N. de la Parra, F. 2018: Tectonic evolution of petroleum systems within the onshore Llanos basin: Insights on the presence of Orinoco heavy analogues in Colombia and a comparison with other heavy provinces worldwide. APPG Bulletin. in press
- Hoorn, C., van Hueven, de la Parra, F. 2018: Going north and south: The biogeographic history of two Malvaceae in the wake of Noegene Andean uplift and connectivity between the Americas. Review of Paleobotany and Palynology. in review
- Rodriguez, G., de la Parra F, Palinostratigraphy of the Aguardiente formation, Catatumbo basin, Colombia . CT&F. Vol 7, No 1.
- De la Parra, F., Mora A., Rueda. M., Quintero, I. 2015: Temporal and spatial distribution of tectonic events as deduced from reworked palynomorphs in the Eastern Northern Andes. APPG Bulletin. Vol 99. p 1455-1472.
- Smith, M., Hughes, G., Vargas, C., de la Parra, F. 2015: Sclerites and possible mouthparts from the temperate paleolatitudes of Colombia, South America. Lethaia. in press
- Reyes, A., Ruiz, C.,Mora, A., Ramirez, J., Rodriguez, G., de la Parra, F.2015Cenozoic paleogeography of the Andean foreland and retroarc hinterland of Colombia. APPG Bulletin. Vol 99. p 1407-1553.
- Montano, P., Nova, G., Bayona, G., Maecha, H., Ayala, C., Jaramillo, C., de la Parra, F. 2015: Analisis de Secuencias y Procedencia en Sucesiones sedimentarias de grano fino: Un ekemplo de la Fm. Umir y base de la Fm Lisama en el sector de Simacota (Santander, Colombia). Boletin de Geologia UIS. V38. p 51-72.
- Lara, M., Cardona, A, Monsalve G., Yarce, J, Montes C., Valencia, V., Weber, M., de la Parra, F.2012: Middle Miocene near trench volcanism in northern Colombia: overthrusting of the South America plate onto Caribbean margin in a flat slab setting?. Journal of South American Earth Sciences, Vol. 45: 24-41.
- Ochoa, D., Hoorn, C., Jaramillo, C., Bayona, G., de la Parra, F. 2012: The final phase of tropical lowland deposition in the axial zone of the Eastern Cordillera: Evidence from three palynological records (Eocene to Miocene, Colombian Andes). Journal of South American Earth Sciences. Vol. 39. p 157-169.
- Punyasena, S., Jaramillo, C., de la Parra F., and Du, Y. 2012: Probabilistic correlation of single stratigraphic samples-a generalized approach for Biostratigraphic data. AAPG Bulletin. V. 96 p 235-244.
- Jaramillo, C., Ochoa, D., Contreras, L., Pagani, M., Carvajal, H., de la Parra, F.2010: Effects of Rapid Global Warming at the Paleocene-Eocene Boundary on Neotropical Vegetation. Science V. 330 p 957-961.
- Jaramillo, C., Muñoz, F., Cogollo, M., and de la Parra, F. 2005: Quantitative Biostratigraphy for the Paleogene of the Llanos Foothills, Colombia: Improving Palynological Resolution for Oil Exploration:In Powell, A.J. and Riding, J. Riding. Riding(Eds.), The Micropaleontological Society Special Publication. V-145.
- Jaramillo, C., Rueda, M., Bayona, G., Santos, C., Florez, P., de La Parra, F. 2009. Biostratigraphy Breaking Paradigms: The Absence of The Eocene Mirador Formation in the Eastern Llanos of Colombia. SEMP Special Publication No 93.