Project: The hydroacoustic record of activity at Monowai and its implications for submarine volcanism
My research mainly revolves around seismoacoustic tertiary waves, so-called ‘T phases’. T phases are low-frequency underwater sound waves generated mostly by earthquakes and in-water explosions, for example during the eruption of a submarine volcano. Once a signal becomes trapped in the ocean’s Sound Fixing and Ranging (SOFAR) channel, T phases travel over vast distances and can be detected by hydrophones and ocean bottom seismometers.
Using data provided by the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organization (CTBTO), I have recently been able to trace volcanic activity at Monowai, a submarine volcanic centre in the Kermadec Arc, over a distance of more than 15,800 km, which is the longest range of any naturally occurring underwater signal ever observed.
View Selected Publications
Metz, D., A. B. Watts, I. Grevemeyer, M. Rodgers, and M. Paulatto (2016), Ultra-long-range hydroacoustic observations of submarine volcanic activity at Monowai, Kermadec Arc, Geophys. Res. Lett., 43(4), 1529–1536, doi:10.1002/2015GL067259.
View Extended Publications
- Metz, D., Watts, A. B., Grevemeyer, I., Rodgers, M. (2017), Studying Submarine Volcanic Activity Using IMS Hydrophone Data: Detection and Implications for Ocean Noise, CTBT: Science and Technology Conference 2017, T1.4-O5
- Grevemeyer, I., Metz, D., Watts, A. B., Geissler, W. (2017), Natural and anthropogenic ocean noise recorded at long-term and temporary observatories, Research Abstracts of the EGU General Assembly in Vienna, Vol. 19: EGU2017-9430
- Metz, D., Watts, A. B., Grevemeyer, I., Rogers, M., Paulatto, M. (2016), Using IMS hydrophone data for detecting submarine volcanic activity: Insights from Monowai, 26°S Kermadec Arc, Research Abstracts of the EGU General Assembly in Vienna, Vol. 18: EGU2016-1862
- Grevemeyer, I., Metz, D., Watts, A. B. (2016), Submarine explosive activity and ocean noise generation at Monowai Volcano, Kermadec Arc: Constraints from hydroacoustic T-waves, Research Abstracts of the EGU General Assembly in Vienna, Vol. 18: EGU2016-7506
- Metz, D., Augustin, N., van der Zwan, F. M., Bantan, R. A., Al-Aidaroos, A. M. (2013), Mabahiss Mons, 25.5°N Red Sea Rift: Tectonics and Volcanism of a Large Submarine Dome Volcano, Research Abstracts of the EGU General Assembly in Vienna, Vol. 15: EGU2013-10487