Earth’s deep oxygen cycle, from the magma ocean to the present

Details
Venue

Seminar Rooms, Department of Earth Sciences, South Parks Road, OX1 3AN

View on Google Maps
Date
Fri 17th Feb 2023
Cost
Free
Time
12 noon
Booking required
No

Speaker: Prof Marc Hirschmann, Robert & Carol Gunn Professor of Earth Sciences, University of Minnesota; Alexander von Humboldt Stiftung Forschungpreis 2022-2023 (Bayreuth, FU Berlin)

Abstract: Earth’s mantle has been oxidized compared to its cosmochemical building blocks since the earliest Hadean.  This oxidation is linked to Earth’s initial differentiation, including processes in magma oceans, but these remain poorly understood.  During its subsequent evolution to the present, Earth has developed a substantial oxidized surface reservoir that amounts to approximately 20% of the oxidative power of the accessible Earth, with the other 80% remaining in the mantle.  This surface reservoir is essential to the modern surface environment, but originates largely from the mantle and to date this coupled surface-interior redox evolution lacks quantification.  Today the mantle includes domains with distinct redox states sampled by oceanic and mid-ocean ridge basalts, though their origin, recycled versus primordial, is not yet illuminated.  In this talk I will consider models and experiments that aid understanding of the redox evolution of terrestrial planets and Earth’s subsequent deep planetary redox cycling.

Venue:  join in person in Seminar rooms or online via Zoom link

If you are external to the Department of Earth Sciences and wish to receive information about departmental seminars please join our mailing list by sending a message to: earth_sciences_seminar-request@maillist.ox.ac.uk 

Upcoming events
3
Feb

Filling in the Map: The space-time geography of Arctic Ocean mixing and why it matters

  • Departmental Seminars
10
Feb

Week 4 research seminar with Dr Kristel Chanard

  • Departmental Seminars
17
Feb

Earth's deep oxygen cycle, from the magma ocean to the present

  • Departmental Seminars