Professor David Pyle
Professor of Earth Sciences
|TEL:||+44 (1865) 272000|
- Strengthening Resilience in Volcanic Areas (STREVA)
- Rift Volcanism: Past, Present, Future
- Mantle Volatiles Consortium
- Tempo of Volcanism in Southern Chile
- Academic Director, Oxford's Doctoral Training Partnership in Environmental Research
- Academic Lead, Oxford Sparks
I currently teach courses in igneous petrology, volcanology and igneous petrogenesis to all four years of the undergraduate course. I am also involved in course design and delivery for Oxford's NERC-funded Doctoral Training Partnership in Environmental Research.
Post-graduate research in Volcanology at the University of Oxford
We are always interested in recruiting graduate students in volcanology. The main applications round is usually in the autumn, with many university scholarship deadlines in mid January.
- ML Daggitt, TA Mather, DM Pyle, S Page, 2014, AshCalc - A new tool for the comparison of the exponential, power-law and Weibull models of tephra deposition, Journal of Applied Volcanology, 3: 7 [Open Access].
- TJ Browning, HA Bouman, GM Henderson, TA Mather, DM Pyle, C Schlosser, EMS Woodward, CM Moore, 2014, Strong responses of Southern Ocean phytoplankton communities to volcanic ash, Geophysical Research Letters 41, doi: 10.1002/2014GL059364.
- P Nomikou et al., 2014, The emergence and growth of a submarine volcano: the Kameni islands, Santorini, Greece, GeoResJ 1-2, 8-18. [Open Access]
- K Fontijn, SM Lachowycz, H Rawson, DM Pyle, TA Mather, JA Naranjo, H Moreno-Roa, 2014, Late Quaternary tephrostratigraphy of southern Chile and Argentina, Quaternary Science Reviews 89, 70 - 84. [Open Access]
- DM Pyle, TA Mather, J Biggs (Eds, 2013), Remote-sensing of Volcanoes and Volcanic processes: Integrating observation and modelling, Geological Society Special Publication, 380, 362 pp.
- C Oppenheimer, DM Pyle, J Barclay (eds), 2003, Volcanic Degassing, Geological Society of London Special Publication 213
- TH Druitt et al., 1999, Santorini Volcano, Geological Society of London, Memoir 19.