Prof David Pyle
Professor of Earth Sciences
Tectonics, volcanoes and hazards
|Telephone||Search the directory|
|Occasional blog (Volcanoes)|
|OxfordSparks public engagement|
I am a volcanologist, with interests in the rates and impacts of volcanism and volcanic degassing. Most of my recent work has been on young or active volcanoes, and current projects include studies of volcanoes in Africa (Ethiopia), Europe (Greece), Latin America (Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Guatemala, Mexico), New Zealand and the Caribbean (Montserrat).
Recent highlights include our work characterising the recent phase of unrest beneath Santorini, Greece; our ongoing work trying to understand the volcanic response to deglaciation in southern Chile; and use of synchrotron micro-analysis to determine the timescales of the pre-eruption assembly of large silicic magma chambers.
Current Research Projects
- STREVA Consortium: Strengthening Resilience in Volcanic Areas. A joint NERC-ESRC funded research program with UK, Latin American and Caribbean partners, 2012-2017.
- Afar Consortium: How the Earth's crust forms at divergent plate margins. A NERC funded project with Ethiopian, UK and US collaborators, 2007-2012.
- Post-glacial volcanism in southern Chile. A NERC funded project with Chilean, Belgian and UK collaborators, 2011-2014.
- Capturing an episode of unrest at Santorini volcano, Greece. A NERC Urgency grant, with Greek and UK collaborators, 2011-2012, supported by additional equipment loans and flights from the NERC Geophysical Equipment Facility and the NERC Airborne Research and Survey Facility.
Recently Completed Projects
- IKIMP: Integrating Knowledge to Inform Mercury Policy (NERC Knowledge Transfer Network, 2008-2011)
- Volcanic eruptions and the Great Chilean Earthquake of 1835, Darwin Now Award (British Council, 2009-2010)
- Emissions of mercury (Hg) and other heavy metals from volcanoes. (NERC standard grant, 2005-2009).
- Impact and extent of the 2008 eruption of volcan Chaiten, Chile. (NERC urgency grant, 2008-2009).
Public Engagement and Public Understanding of Science
I am the academic lead on an Oxford University project called Oxford Sparks. Oxford Sparks is intended to become the main portal for all 'Online Public Science' across Oxford University, from science stories, to blogs, podcasts, teaching resources (for schools) and animations of science topics. Oxford Sparks launched in Autumn 2012, and already has animations of the Large Hadron Collider, Cold Chemistry, the Genetics of Heart Disease and the science of subduction zone volcanoes.
December 2008 - Large earthquakes and volcanic eruptions
July 2012 - Launch of the Strengthening Resilience in Volcanic Areas project
September 2012 - The arrival of a pulse of magma beneath Santorini, Greece
Post-graduate research in Volcanology at the University of Oxford
We are always interested in recruiting graduate students in volcanology. The main applications round is usually in the autumn, with many university scholarship deadlines in early January.
Fuller details are available via the Graduate Admissions page, or do please email me directly.
List of courses that I currently teach, with links to Weblearn pages and other relevant resources
- Igneous Petrology: a second year course which covers the fundamentals of phase equilibria of simple systems, and applies them to develop an understanding of terrestrial magmatism and its plate tectonic context.
- Igneous Petrogenesis: an advanced third year class, introducing some current research questions relating to the interpretation of igneous rocks.
- Topics in Volcanology: a fourth year seminar class, covering a range of current topics.
Selected Publications (Extended Publications)
- Ferguson, DJ, Calvert,, AT, Pyle, DM, Blundy, JD, Yirgu, G, Wright, TJ, (2013) 'Constraining timescales of focused magmatic accretion and extension in the Afar crust using lava geochronology', Nature Communications. pp. doi: 10.1038/ncomms2410
- Parks, M, Biggs, J, England, PC, Mather, T, Nomikou, P, Palamartchouk, K, Papanikolau, X, Paradissis, D, Parsons, B, Pyle, D, Raptakis, C, Zacharis, V, (2012) 'Evolution of Santorini Volcano dominated by episodic and rapid fluxes of melt from depth', Nature Geoscience. pp. 749-754 doi: 10.1038/ngeo1562
- Pyle, DM, (2012) 'Small volcanic eruptions and the stratospheric sulfate aerosol burden', ENVIRONMENTAL RESEARCH LETTERS. pp. doi: 10.1088/1748-9326/7/3/031001
- Matthews, NE, Huber, C, Pyle, DM, Smith, VC, (2012) 'Timescales of Magma Recharge and Reactivation of Large Silicic Systems from Ti Diffusion in Quartz', JOURNAL OF PETROLOGY. pp. 1385-1416 doi: 10.1093/petrology/egs020
- Mather, TA, Witt, MLI, Pyle, DM, Quayle, BM, Aiuppa, A, Bagnato, E, Martin, RS, Sims, KWW, Edmonds, M, Sutton, AJ, Ilyinskaya, E, (2012) 'Halogens and trace metal emissions from the ongoing 2008 summit eruption of Kīlauea volcano, Hawaìi', Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta. pp. 292-323
- Scott, JAJ, Mather, TA, Pyle, DM, Rose, WI, Chigna, G, (2012) 'The magmatic plumbing system beneath Santiaguito Volcano, Guatemala', JOURNAL OF VOLCANOLOGY AND GEOTHERMAL RESEARCH. pp. 54-68 doi: 10.1016/j.jvolgeores.2012.05.014
- Matthews, NE, Pyle, DM, Smith, VC, Wilson, CJN, Huber, C, van Hinsberg, V, (2012) 'Quartz zoning and the pre-eruptive evolution of the similar to 340-ka Whakamaru magma systems, New Zealand', CONTRIBUTIONS TO MINERALOGY AND PETROLOGY. pp. 87-107 doi: 10.1007/s00410-011-0660-1
- Watt, SFL, Pyle, DM, Mather, TA, (2009) 'The influence of great earthquakes on volcanic eruption rate along the Chilean subduction zone', EARTH AND PLANETARY SCIENCE LETTERS. pp. 399-407 doi: 10.1016/j.epsl.2008.11.005